Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Single Men Watch.....Figure Skating?!!!

     I plug my mobile phone into the charger in my car and notice that I have a voicemail message.  Hmm, a call must have come in last night when my phone was turned off.  I quickly put on my Bluetooth wireless ear piece, dial into my voicemail and this is what I hear:

"Romes, hey, Happy Winter Olympics! I just want to let you know that I'm a single guy right now...I'm a single guy, [pause] watching pairs figure skating, [pause] by myself.  I can only admit this to one person on the earth and that's you, because I know how much you love figure skating. I wish I lived with my fiancée, so I can blame it on her that I am watching pairs figure skating, but I can't, so I'll just admit that yes, I'm watching it by myself...."

         At this point, I'm laughing out loud like a hyena in my car and I'm getting strange looks for other drivers around me at the traffic light. How sad that a straight single (albeit engaged) man is so embarrassed to confess to watching Olympic pairs figure skating and actually liking it. I'm sure my male friend (I'll refrain from mentioning his name in this post in order not to bring on further embarrassment) isn't the only straight man out there that secretly likes to watch figure skating.  To me the sport of figure skating is the most perfect blend of athleticism and artistry.  Top competitive figure skaters work just as hard as any other professional athlete at the Olympic Games, whether it be a alpine ski racer, a hockey player, a ski jumper or cross-country skier.  Imagine gliding full speed across the ice on a 1/4 inch metal blade, then using all of your strength to propel yourself into the air to complete the three tight rotations of a triple salchow only to perfectly land backwards on the blade of your opposite foot.  Nope, that does not take any skill or strength at all.  Yet, because figure skating costumes have sequins and lace and the skaters compete to classical music or show tunes, somehow, real men are embarrassed to watch this sport.  This totally cracks me up.  The thought of my friend sitting on the couch in his apartment, alone, watching the pairs figure skating competition on TV and having no one to talk to about how much he is enjoying the competition is both sad and sweet at the same time.  So for all you straight men who like figure skating out there, I just wanted to share this story, so that you don't feel so alone.  You are not a freak.  You should not feel ashamed of your deep, dark figure skating secret.  Here is a link to the top ten reasons men watch figure skating.


Guys, it really is o.k. to watch figure skating!

Copyright 2010 Romy Schneider. All rights reserved.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my blog. That's a great story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there!
    Great Blogpost!
    Thanks for mentioning the NoStpidAnswers Top Ten list. I guess I left out number 11 -Some men actually do enjoy watching the aesthetic sport of figure skating for the perfect art-form that it is (and those men shall remain anonymous).

    ReplyDelete