Saturday, March 20, 2010

Good Luck LA Marathoners and Vin Scully's Return on Sunday!!



Tomorrow Sunday, March 21, 2010 will be a very exciting day here in Los Angeles. Two important events with take place, the 2010 LA Marathon and the return of Vin Scully to the announcer's booth to call his first Dodger Spring training game of the season.

The LA Marathon has a new route this year starting at the historic Dodger Stadium, running through Chinatown, Hollywood, Beverly Hills and ending at the Santa Monica Pier. Click here to view the route.  I actually know two people running this year, my former co-worker Derek and fellow blogger Los Angelista. I will be checking out the route in-person on the corner of Little Santa Monica and Rodeo Drive. I wanted to wish "good luck" to all of the record 25,000 runners participating.

LA's beloved Dodgers announcer Vin Scully gave us all quite a scare last Thursday night after hearing reports that the 82 year old ended up in the hospital after a fall at his home. Vin Scully has been the Dodgers' play-by-play announcer since 1954 and has been inducted in the Baseball Hall of Fame. To me and many Los Angelenos, Vin Scully is Dodger baseball. I have been listening to him call Dodger games since the 1970's. Just a little girl growing up in the San Fernando Valley, lying on a lounge chair in my backyard in shorts and a t-shirt on a hot August afternoon, listening to Vin on my old transistor radio, scoring the game on a piece of paper along with Vin. The way he describes the batter's stance, the pitcher's wind-up, the crack of the bat, the outfielder's bob and weave to get a line on the ball, the missed catch, the base runners hesitation at first base and acceleration into second, made me feel like I was right there with him in the booth watching the action on the field. I felt like I could actually smell the grass and taste the Dodger dogs.  The boyish enthusiasm in his voice, which is clearly the product of his love he has for the game and the boys that play it, still rings out even 35 yrs after I first heard him call a game. The thought of not hearing Vinny call a Dodger game this season brings me to tears. (Really, I'm that invested in Vin and the Dodgers who both feel like family members). The good news is that Vin Scully was released from the hospital on Friday morning, actually apologized for worrying everyone over a little bump on his head, and vowed to travel to Arizona to the Dodgers training facility to call his first Dodger Spring training game of the season on Sunday at 1:05pm, which will be broadcasted on KCal 9. If you are not running in the Marathon, check out the master Vin Scully and our Boys in Blue.

Copyright 2010 Romy Schneider.  All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment